Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Gold or a House?

If you had $100,000, which would you buy? Gold, or a house? That's a tough one for me. Looking at the last 10 years, a home versus gold coins, it seems that the gold has held its value better. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'm an easy-going guy, and I have nooo problem with that.

I have heard commercials about how gold has never been worth zero, and it always reminds me of when I was a kid and my dad bought some gold bullion. He actually buried it. I kid you not! He went out in the back yard like a golden retriever, and dug a hole to put it in. I remember it very well for two reasons. I was with him when we buried the gold bullion. He got out a gold coin and showed it to me. I think it was 10 oz, and at that time the price was around $250-$300 an oz. The other reason is that he told me if they were needed for some reason in the winter, we would be out of luck, because of the ground being frozen to about 2 feet down.

I also remember that about 2 years later we were going to dig up the gold and we could not find it. This was not in the city so its doubtful anyone saw us, but not impossible. We did this a few times, and would bury it in between two trees so it would be easy for us to find. All of the times we buried gold it was found, but not that one time.

Ahhh the father-son memories! This was back in the 60's and 70's when we still did things the old school way. Somewhere, in a quaint little town in northern Illinois, there is 10 ounces of gold that will likely never be found.

4 comments:

Przemo said...

It is such a simple question. Buy a house on 30y fixed loan and after a few yours the inflation will erase your debt.

Purchase gold for cash. Silver is even a better choice.

I can help you with searching for gold ;) I have an access to a metal detector.

Anonymous said...

if you bury gold again, have Howard do it...he needs to stay occupied with his blown up ear, plus it demonstrates to the effer cats he is still in good shape

bradinsb said...

Howard was banned from using the computer due to misbehaving. He should be able to post again in a week.

Rupinder said...

Always check with several buyers before giving away your gold. You may find that one buyer will offer you several hundred dollars more than another buyer. Be sure to ask them how they calculate your gold value.




Cash for Gold