Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Dream All You Want!

"Wet Wednesday"
Santa Barbara Yacht Club

I used to race on the yellow boat...Firedrill...a J-24 sailboat. It was the best way to learn how to sail and I had tons of fun.

Ever since I was a wee young lad, and my family took a vacation to Hawaii, I have dreamed of living there. Then, when I was into sailing, I dreamed of sailing to the Big Island. A friend of mine who has sailed around the world told me to go out sailing all day on the worst day, and that is what it could be like to be out on the ocean for weeks at a time. So I picked one of the worst days, popped up the sails and went sailing. I was the only boat out there! It was a long day and very rough on my body, and that is when I was 25 and in great shape. It was a blast, for 8 hours, but I couldn't see myself staying up for 24 hours a day if necessary. The boat NEVER stops moving. I decided to stick close to home and sail from Santa Barbara to the Channel Islands instead to get my fix. Twenty miles is better than 20 days!

One of my long time friends and I have a joke that there is nothing worse than being cold and wet, sea sick, and having your girlfriend break up with you all at the same time. We lived it when he broke up with a girlfriend and I took him sailing out to the Islands on a rough day, and we swam from the boat to the shore just to get on land. We thought the water was only knee deep and could walk in to shore, but it ended up being over our heads.

Thanks for allowing my trip down memory lane...

I like to check out Hawaii real estate almost as much as Arizona real estate. Oahu or Maui would also be nice. The weather would be perfect for me, and I don't even mind the humidity. However, you had better have some bucks if you plan on living there or buying your dream home.

Do any of you have a dream location to live?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I moved away from Oahu two years ago (who knew the grass wasn't greener?) after living there for seven. I dream of going back there and my favorite part about your blog is reading about Hawaii. Next time around though, I think I'll live on the Big Island...where else can you go to a pink sand beach, black sand beach, and green all about an hour?

Unknown said...

My business partner is planning on "retiring" to Oahu, so we bought some rentals on the poor side so he'll have something to do when he gets there. (Five years?) He's planning on building a place for himself up the Makaha Valley,- can't remember the name of the site and would probably spell the name wrong anyway. Love Hawaii but I wouldn't want to have to fly to get to anywhere on the mainland.

Good luck with your new home.