Saturday, April 5, 2008

Leaving the Nest



We have had a hummingbird nest in our backyard, and it has been pretty neat to watch the progression from momma bird building it, sitting on the eggs, to the babies now leaving the nest just today.

What do you wish your parents had told you before you left the nest? What words of wisdom will you give your own kids?

My wife's dad used to write little notes on her new credit card accounts when they came in the mail, like, "I wouldn't if I were you," or, "I owe, I owe, so off to work I go."

My dad was creative and taught me how to run a business, and for that I will always be thankful to him. He owned a pattern company, and when I was a teenager I would work for him, and he would have me make phone calls to his "important" customers, basically his friends. I would get so nervous, but it taught me a lot and I'll never forget it.

Take time for your kids. You will never regret the time you spend with them, and neither will they (even though they might pretend to).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would like to say that, after seeing many really brutally negative housing bubble and related real-estate blogs, this one is refreshing. I do not understand the point of wishing death and dismemberment on people who are obviously screwed already. I think we can all agree that the current state of the economy sucks and some of us are pretty bitter at the main culprits, but damn...some sites are just horrific, elitist scum. Thanks for keeping it on track and I also really appreciate this particular post and the one about the shack in S. Barbara. I also liked the post where you offered up the dude who needed help on his predicament of selling a townhome. I was in a similar boat for the last year and finally sold mine at a $5k loss (thank God) and that year sucked. I am now out of double mortgage hell, and hunkering down with my family for a long, long time.