Sunday, March 4, 2007

Ocean Front Property

This is where I lived for 15 years, before my wife came along and civilized me.
She didn't seem to quite catch on to the boat life, but she gave it a fair shot for six months, during an El Nino year on top of that.
Living on a boat in Santa Barbara was a great option for me. I started out when I was 21 years old, and paid $10,000 for my boat and slip. Before this power boat I had a sailboat, which I did four years of living on. I loved sailing. I actually had a choice to buy a condo in Santa Barbara for $43,000 in 1984, or stay on the boat. I chose the boat, and have no regrets except for the money I could have made. My sailing experiences are priceless though, and if I could go back in time I would make probably the same decision. I was only 22 years old and living the moment, and could have cared less about the future. Sure, I would have made about $400,000 in real estate, but the memories I have are priceless. It was always fun for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What are the costs to do this now? Buy a sailboat. Rent the harbor spot, park your car, get wireless internet etc. I could live in the boat. I'm paying $1300.00 month in rent now in L.A. And I'm a surfer. This would be awesome. Oh man I've always wanted a sailboat with a emergeny outboard. Can you give me some pointers?

bradinsb said...

Im not sure on the LA area but im guessing you could buy a livable boat for around $15,000-$20,000. You do not need wireless internet most harbors will have all the luxurys you need.I loved the boat live to me its a simple way of life and cheap. I was paying $250 a month for the slip and i owned the slip.The boat was a 25 ft nmot much room for 2 people but great for one.There is more room on a power boat but expensive to use and they must be used they do not like to sit in the salt water.I believe the channel islands harbor is one of the best places to live but its a month to month and you do not own the slip but its alot cheaper then renting.That was a few years back and may have changed. Feel free to ask anything else

Anonymous said...

Bradinsb! Do we know each other? I used to manage Divers Den in 1977 - 78 and moved back to Tulsa in '80. My wife and I had dinner on a boat in the the harbor just like this! Same story, same name. Man, I miss SB